Here is a really simple, and frugal recipe for Spice Cake with Rum Cream Cheese Frosting! This is a great fall recipe, and goes great with coffee, apple cider or a cold glass of milk.
Best part is that you cheat by starting with a box cake! Its frugal, because you can often get boxed cake mixes for $1 or less. Cream cheese can also be found for around $1 usually, when on sale, and if you coupon then you know there have been some great butter deals on sale lately!
Here is what you will need to make this cake:
- 1 package Spice Cake Mix (and ingredients required on the box to make your cake)
- 1/2 cube butter (I like real butter in this recipe!)
- 1 package cream cheese
- Powder sugar
- Rum extract
- Cool Whip Topping (Optional)
- Roasted Almonds (Optional)
- Take out your cream cheese and butter to soften.
- Use a packaged Spice cake, and bake as instructed. Let cool.
- With a mixer combine 1/2 cup butter and 1 package cream cheese with 1 tsp rum extract and 1/4 to 1/2 cup powder sugar (depending on how sweet you want your frosting). Mix until creamy and all ingredients are well blended.
- (note – its important that you use soft butter and cream cheese, or you may end up with lumpy frosting)
- If you like a denser Cream Cheese taste then your frosting is ready. If you want to lighten it up some, you an add in a half container of Cool Whip topping too (optional).
- Frost cake with Rum flavored Cream Cheese frosting and refrigerate until ready to serve!
- If you want to add a crunch to your cake, top with roasted almonds (optional).
To roast the almonds, I just purchased a small bag of almond slivers at Fred Meyer (paid just over $1 for it!), threw them in a pan over medium heat. You don’t want to leave these unattended, as when they start to brown they will roast quickly and can burn if you don’t keep a close eye on them. Toss around in the pan to roast all sides, and then let them cool.
There are many variations you can do with this cake. You can use vanilla extract rather then rum. You can add diced apples to the cake or raisins, or anything else your imagination can come up with that goes well with the flavor of spice cake. Share your ideas below!