I love to make quiche. Mostly because I love the taste, but also because it is a recipe that is very adaptable to what I have on hand, and can be very budget friendly.
If I am planning to make it for company, I will use a pie crust, or puff pastry for the crust, as well as some nice meats and cheeses (like good ham, bacon or sausage and expensive cheese).
The other version that I often make for my family, is the “whatever is in my fridge version”. Honestly, I don’t taste a huge difference between the two and my husband loves them all.
Did you know you can simply use plain old slices of bread for the crust too? The Quiche shown above was made with a few slices of white bread I had in my fridge, some sliced ham I had from the deli we had purchased for sandwiches the day before, diced onion, herbs from my garden, and cheddar cheese. You can use crumbled sausage, or if you have a few slices of leftover bacon, and any veggies you want to dice up and add too. Just dice up and add the foods your family likes to eat!
How to make a simple quiche with a few slices of bread for the crust:
1/4 cup Half and Half
4 Slices of bread (I used white)
1 – 2 cups of Chopped Ham, Bacon or Crumbled Sausage
2 cups Shredded Cheese of your choice (I prefer Cheddar or Feta)
1/4 cup Diced Onions (optional)
2 Tbls Diced Herbs (fresh if you have on hand, I used Basil, Parsley, Oregano and Thyme)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Gather your ingredients
Beat the eggs and cream together, then fold in the other ingredients until stirred evenly.
Lay out your bread pieces at the bottom of your dish to form your frugal crust!
Pour the egg mixture you made above out over the bread crust.
Make sure its evenly distributed in pan, and place in oven to bake.
Enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Printable Recipe for Simple Quiche Recipe:
Here’s a printable version of the Simple Quiche recipe for you to print off to put in your recipe binder or notebook.Print
- 6 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Half and Half
- 4 Slices of bread (I used white)
- 1 – 2 cups of Chopped Ham, Bacon or Crumbled Sausage
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese of your choice (I prefer Cheddar or Feta)
- 1/4 cup Diced Onions (optional)
- 2 Tbls Diced Herbs (fresh if you have on hand, I used Basil, Parsley, Oregano and Thyme)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line the bottom of cooking dish with your slices of bread (o that they cover the entire bottom of dish in single layer, you can remove the crust if you want to, but you do not have to).
- In a mixing bowl add your eggs, and beat until mixed well.
- Add the cream and mix in
- Add the rest of the ingredients listed above
- Pour over bread layer in your baking dish
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then serve.
More Breakfast Recipes to Try:
Crustless Quiche in Muffin Tins – Freezer Friendly Breakfast Idea
Overnight Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal – Great back to school breakfast idea
Kiwi Berry Yogurt Parfait