Fruit salad has always been one of my favorite side dishes for any meal and I love this Easy 5 Cup Fruit Salad recipe that my grandma used to make and now my mom makes frequently. Many people also call this Ambrosia. There are all sorts of different variations that you can use to make this salad – use all fresh fruit ingredients and what’s in season in the summer and then in the winter, you can use canned fruits to save on money and time to still provide a yummy side dish for gatherings or special occasions.
5 Cup Fruit Salad also makes a great dish to bring to a potluck as you can double or triple the recipe and not spend a lot of money on the ingredients as they are all very inexpensive ingredients (especially if you use the canned fruits) and these are typically ingredients you’d always have on hand, so you can throw it together easily at night for dinner or a last-minute dish for a special event. We always had this with Easter dinner or for Christmas dinner as a spruced up fruit dish and it felt like you were eating dessert because it was so sweet!Print
Easy 5 Cup Fruit Salad
- 1 cup fruit cocktail
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- *You can substitute the fruit cocktail or pineapple for mandarin oranges or any fruit that you’d prefer
- *We also have substituted 1 cup of whipped cream (or to taste) for the sour cream if you prefer less of the tangy flavor. I personally love the unique, little bit of tang that the sour cream adds, but your kids may prefer the whipped cream flavor.
- If using any fresh fruit, chop up fruit into bite size pieces
- Dump all your ingredients into a bowl.
- Stir it all together
- Chill until ready to eat.
- This will feed a family of 3-4. If you’d like to make it for larger groups, you can easily double or triple the ingredients to make more.
- It’s really that simple – love this recipe as you can put it together in minutes!
Find more of our favorite recipes on our recipe database page.