Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Over Rice
Looking for quick dinner ideas? How about this quick,easy, and affordable Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken over Rice?
My favorite thing about this recipe, is its versatility. Its one that I keep on hand, because its so easy to make, it uses ingredients that are affordable, and it is forgiving in terms of how you make it. You can literally dump it all in the slow cooker and let the slow cooker do the work for you. If you find that its later in the day and you forgot to thaw meat, you can make this from frozen chicken right in the oven too. If you want it less creamy, and more tomato tasting, skip the can of cream of chicken and let the salsa provide most the flavor. If you want to add onion, or serve over mashed potatoes rather then rice, those ideas work too!
Here is the really simple recipe. I got most my ingredients at Grocery Outlet this week (had a few on hand), so it cost me around $6 to make this pot of chicken for my family of 5.
Assemble your ingredients.
Layer your chicken on the bottom of your slow cooker.
Drain the corn and beans, and dump all ingredients on top of the chicken. Stir to mix ingredients together.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for longer (cooking time will vary based on if you use chicken tenders or thicker chicken breasts, and how your slow cooker cooks).
Serve over white rice or mashed potatoes.
We like to top ours with cheese, sour cream and cilantro.
Quick Dinner Ideas – Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Over Rice
- Chicken cutlets or tenderloins (half a bag or around 8-9 cutlets)
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese
- White rice (4 – 5 servings)
- Cilantro (optional for topping)
- Sour Cream (optional for topping)
- Layer the bottom of the slow cooker with the chicken
- Dump the cream of chicken soup, jar of salsa, drained can of corn and drained can of black beans on top.
- You can cook this dish on any cycle you want on your slow cooker (I did 4 hours the other night). Just make sure the chicken is cooked through.
- About 40 minutes into the slow cooker cycle, I stir all the ingredients together, and make sure the chicken is all submerged in the sauce.
- Once the slow cooker cycle is through, cook up your rice.
- You can serve directly from crockpot over the rice, and garnish with the cheese, cilantro and sour cream.
- (my preferred method) transfer the chicken and sauce to baking dish and top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Put under the broiler and melt the cheese, until its slightly browned.
- Remove from broiler and serve over rice.
- Top with cilantro and sour cream as desired