Burger Steak Recipe – Easy & Budget Friendly Family Meal!
If you are looking for a really tasty, and economical meal to serve up try this Burger Steak Recipe! It uses hamburger instead of steak, so it is more cost friendly, but it packs a lot of delicious flavor. This is one of those comfort foods that I find myself craving from time to time. It is sure to become a family favorite. You can even make the burger patties ahead of time, and freeze them up. Then you can cook them and make the gravy the night you want to serve them, if you want to make it a really easy meal for busy week nights.
Another thing that I love about this recipe is that it can work well with picky eaters if they like hamburgers. I will serve one of the patties up for my picky eater, without the gravy, and then add the gravy to the rest of our dishes. This way they think they are getting a hamburger, while the rest of us can eat something a little different then your standard hamburger patty.
Burger Steak Recipe with Gravy
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 pack of dried onion soup mix (we use Lipton)
- 1/2 tsp of seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp of coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (we like to use crushed up ritz crackers)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs of oil for frying (you can add more if you need)
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbs. of butter
- 1 tbs of floor
- 1 cup of beef broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Burger Steak Recipe
This is a budget friendly meal to feed the family. Don’t let it fool you though, it packs a lot of flavor and is delicious! It is one of those comfort foods you will crave from time to time. Since it uses ground beef, rather then steak, it is easier on the grocery bill too.
Burger Steak Ingredients:
How to Make the Burger Steaks:
- Mix the bread crumbs (or cracker crumbs), seasoning salt, pepper and onion soup mix together – blend well.
- Add to the ground beef and mix well (I use my hands, it works best)
- Add the egg and continue to mix until blended, like you were making meatloaf.
- Make into hamburger patties (flatten well though).
- Heat oil on stove top, and fry hamburger patties on each side until cooked through and golden brown on outsides (around 4 to 5 minutes per side).
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels and make gravy.
Directions to Make the Gravy:
- To make the gravy add the diced onions to the pan you fried the beef patties in and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and use a wooden spoon to stir well and scrape beef bits from bottom of pan. Cook until flour is golden brown (around 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add the butter and sliced mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender.
- Add the beef broth and salt and pepper to taste, and let simmer on low until gravy thickens.
- Serve the beef steak patties with gravy on the top.
- It is most commonly served over rice, but you can serve over mashed potatoes or on its own too.