Tropical Green Breakfast Smoothie
Looking for a great green breakfast Smoothie recipe? Here is one that is not only delicious, but will also help keep your immunity system boosted to ward off some of the icky things that can spread around through the Winter! One thing that I don’t look forward to is the return of cold & flu season, which always seems to hit around this time, especially as the kids are back in school, where colds & coughs tend to spread quickly thru the classrooms. I wanted to share with you today some of the ways we work to keep our family healthy in our house during cold & flu season, using this simple and delicious breakfast smoothie recipe. This one has a tropical twist, so although green smoothies might conjure up images of only leafy green items, this one is packed with stuff your kids will love to drink.
Tropical Green Breakfast Smoothie, Part of Eating Healthy:
We are all about prevention in our house, though, as much as possible & we’re always finding ways to boost our immune systems to keep us healthy so that we’re not prone to catching the latest colds or viruses making the rounds around school or church. One of the best ways to stay healthy is to eat healthy. We love to make green smoothies for our girls for a snack after school or at breakfast time on the weekends, which they think is a treat, but we know it’s a time when we can really pack in those healthy fruits and veggies. I do find using this for breakfast is a great way to start the day, and also one of the easiest times to get kids to drink them (when they are trying to get off to school, but you want to get something healthy in them).
What I love about green smoothies is that it’s a way to ensure that my kids are getting more fruits and veggies – especially those green, leafy vegetables that are harder to get them to eat enough of throughout each day. I have one daughter who will do whatever she can to not eat veggies as she just really dislikes them. But amazingly, she loves green smoothies. She even sees me add all the veggies and still enjoys drinking the green smoothies, which is rare for our picky eater. At least I know that she’s getting those veggies in that day when I make her a green smoothie.
Benefits of Green Smoothies:
There are so many varied benefits of drinking green smoothies – they really are so good for your overall health & are definitely immune boosters by having that regular fruit & green, leafy veggies in your body. When kids regularly drink green smoothies, they are getting so many good vitamins into their system.
- Increase your servings of fruits and vegetables daily to get closer to the 5 – 9 servings required a day
- Boost your immune system – so important especially during cold & flu season – you can pack your smoothies with fruits & veggies that will pack vitamins, minerals & antioxidants to help keep your body strong against viruses
- Increased Energy – the powerful vitamins & minerals found in the ingredients in your green smoothies will give you more energy to get things done
- Increase your nutrition for overall health & wellness – green smoothies are really packed with so many ingredients high in vitamins and minerals to keep your body healthy & strong
Tropical Green Breakfast Smoothie Recipe:
There are so many different kinds of green smoothie combinations you can make, but my family & I love this tropical green smoothie with a touch of ginger as it just feels so light & refreshing any time of year. The pineapple & banana are sweeter fruits, ensuring that it’s sweet enough for kids to enjoy drinking this smoothie, without having to use any added sugar or honey. I also added orange juice (with no added sugar) for that extra sweetness, but also because orange juice contains the all -important Vitamin C as the #1 source and it is a strong immune booster. Fresh ginger is such a good option to add in to your smoothie as ginger is anti-bacterial, strong antioxidant, it can help eliminate toxins in your body & can build your immunity overall. The leafy greens like baby spinach or kale are filled with vitamins to benefit your body and overall health in numerous ways. So, this tropical green smoothie is really the perfect combination of some of the best immune-boosting ingredients packed with flavor you’ll love!
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (to taste – you may prefer more). You can grate/zest the root to cut the ginger for your smoothie
- 1 cup mango, fresh or frozen (I used the O Organics frozen mango bag, which equals 1 cup)
- 1 cup pineapple, fresh or frozen (I used the O Organics frozen pineapple bag, equaling 1 cup)
- 1 handful fresh, baby spinach (you can use kale if you prefer too)
- coconut flakes (optional – I used 2 tbsp for the smoothie & sprinkled some coconut flakes on top of the smoothie for garnish)
- Ice – as desired for thickness (I used 1 cup to make it thicker)
Combine all ingredients in the blender by the order in which they are listed (liquid ingredients on the bottom to solid to frozen ingredients & ice on top).
Puree ingredients until smooth and when it reaches your desired thickness. Add more ice if you want it thicker.
Makes 2 large servings.
Printable Recipe for Tropical Green Smoothie:
Here’s a printable version of the Tropical Green recipe for you to print off to put in your recipe binder or notebook.Print
This tropical green smoothie recipe is kid friendly & full of vitamins & minerals to boost your immune system
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp ginger (to taste)
- 1 cup mango, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup pineapple, fresh, frozen or canned
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- coconut (optional – I used 2 tbsp)
- Ice – as desired for thickness
- Combine all ingredients in the blender by the order in which they are listed (liquid ingredients on the bottom to solid to frozen ingredients & ice on top).
- Puree ingredients until smooth and when it reaches your desired thickness. Add more ice if you want it thicker.