Point Defiance Zoo – Opening Soon
The Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium will be reopening on Thursday June 18, 2020, after a 3 month closure due to Covid. There will be special Zoo member exclusive days from Monday June 15th – Wednesday June 17th, 2020. Then, it will open to the public on Thurs the 17th.
You can start purchasing timed tickets for the zoo on Wednesday June 10th on the Zoo website here.
They will be opening in compliance with Phase 2 for Pierce County, which means that online timed tickets will be required for all visitors, including members. There will also be restrictions at this time, which you will want to make sure you read up on to know what to expect before you arrive.
How to purchase tickets:
Zoo entrance will only be thru timed tickets online. You will need to purchase your timed ticket online ahead of time (this includes members). You choose the time and then check your email.
Make sure to bring your printed ticket or phone with the email to scan the tickets at the gate. Members will also need to bring your ID. You can only enter the zoo at your ticketed time. And tickets are non-refundable.
Changes to the Zoo Experience:
There will be changes in your zoo experience for the safety of all the zoo guests & employees. Here are the changes:
- One Way Path around the zoo – these will be marked with white arrows around the zoo
- Aquariums & other indoor & high-touch areas are closed right now (Other closed areas include: Carousel, Playground, Budgie Buddies. & Goat petting/feeding)
- You are encouraged to wear a mask & keep your 6 foot distance between people
- They will have kiosks for outside food & drink (no outside food allowed)
- Drinking fountains will be closed, so bring your water bottles full (& extra bottles if you need to refill)
- No stroller/wheelchair/scooter rentals – so bring your own if you need this
- No cash – so bring debit/credit cards for any in-zoo purchases
They will also offer keeper chats & animal encounters around the zoo, but they will not have these scheduled so that there is no congestion or large groups. But keep an eye out for this when you are visiting.
What will be the Hours?
Starting Thurs 6/18, they will be open daily from 9:30am – 6pm. The last timed ticket entry will be 4:30pm, though.
Also, they will be offering a special visiting time for seniors over 65 & those at high risk of Covid-19 on Tuesdays from 9:30 – 10:30am. So you will need to choose that time when you buy your tickets.
If you have a Point Defiance Zoo membership, they have extended your membership for the amount of time that the zoo was closed. Make sure to check out all of the membership FAQ here.