Reader Kristi wrote a fabulous guest post for us yesterday with her tips for making freezer meals & today she brings us the recipes & items she used to make her freezer meals.
Freezer Meal Recipes & Ingredients:
- 3 ravioli dinners – Kirkland 3 Cheese Ravioli bag split into 3 meal portions
- 3 taco meat – 1 lb. hamburger, 1 lb. ground turkey, 2 packets taco seasoning
- 3 spaghetti meat sauce – Brown 1/2 lb. hamburger, 1/2 lb. ground turkey, 1/2 diced white onion. Drain fat and simmer with 1 jar favorite spaghetti sauce (ours is Trader Joe’s Organic Marinara) and 1 teaspoon dried oregano.
- 4 shredded chicken – Kirkland rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 4 BBQ pulled pork – McCormicks slow cooker recipe but I cook it overnight, then pour the sauce into a container to let the fat rise while I shred the pork. Then I skim the fat and toss it, put the pulled pork and remaining sauce back into the slow cooker, add vinegar to taste and let it cook for another hour. I tripled this recipe simply because my husband brought home a 13 pound pork shoulder which made 6 1.5 lb. bags. We froze 4 and ate the other 2 over the week.
- 8 spicy turkey burgers
- 4 red calzones
- 6 white calzones
- 18 egg muffins – but our favorite combination is the mushroom, feta, and bell pepper with red peppers made into the muffins, then microwaved for 1 minute and served with a splash of our favorite hot sauce.
- 9 T marinara – whatever you have on hand from making the calzones
- 18 T pesto – 1 cup fresh basil, 1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup olive oil, 4-6 fresh garlic cloves, 1/4 cup pine nuts. Using blender or food processor – grate cheese, add basil and blend until smooth. Add olive oil, garlic, and pine nuts. Blend until smooth, let sit for 1 hour at room temperature before freezing. I trippled this recipe to get 18 tablespoons because I had a huge basil plant to use up.
- 1 batch chocolate chip cookie dough, split into 2 bags and frozen flat. I only had 1 bag to freeze (1/2 batch) because I sent the other baked 1/2 to work with my husband.
- 1 loaf (split) banana bread – 3 eggs, 1 cup vegetable oil, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups mashed banana, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 3 cups sifted flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional). Beat eggs until foamy, add oil, sugar, vanilla, and banana and mix well. Mix remaining ingredients in a separate bowl before adding to wet in mix. Combine two mixes, pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake in 325* pre-heated oven for one hour or until done. We always eat 1 right out of the oven and freeze the other.
Make sure to check out the full post with all of Kristi’s tips for preparing freezer meals.