Appetizer Recipes – Stuffed Mushrooms
If you are looking for appetizer recipes stuffed mushrooms are one of my very favorites! I love stuffed mushrooms as it always feels like an explosion of taste when I pop on of those stuffed mushrooms into my mouth. I also find them to be a really filling appetizer, if you are looking for something on the heartier side to serve it. This is also a very forgiving recipe to make. You could substitute sausage for the bacon, use your favorite cheese, substitute stuffing for bread crumbs and season to taste. The key is to cook them long enough for the mushrooms to fully cook through (so they are soft and moist) but not overcook them and dry them out. You can also make heaping stuffed mushrooms, or fill them a little less full and make the mixture stretch for a crowd.
I like to prepare my baking sheet by drizzling it with a bit of Olive Oil. That will add even more flavor to your stuffed mushrooms and keep them from sticking to the baking sheet. You could also line the sheet with parchment paper if you would prefer.
You will want to make sure your mushrooms are dry when you get ready to stuff them, to prevent extra liquid during the cooking process. I recommend washing them earlier in the day, or making sure you gently pat them dry with a paper towel prior to stuffing them.
Another favorite tip I love to share about making stuffed mushrooms – put them under the broiler for just a couple of minutes before pulling them out. If you do this, watch them closely to be sure not to burn them, but its a great way to add a bubbling and crispy top to the stuffed mushrooms after they have been cooked through.
Lastly, this is also a great make ahead recipe. You can make your stuffing and stuff your mushrooms a day ahead, or earlier the day that you want to use them. Simply cover then and store in the refrigerator and then take out and cook them when you are ready to serve.
INGREDIENTS FOR STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- 12 large stuffing mushrooms
- 4 slices bacon cooked and cut into bacon bits + 1 tablespoon of bacon grease from cooking the bacon
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (or favorite cheese)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs (or any available breadcrumbs)
- 1 cup Just Mayo™
1) Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a large baking sheet.
2) Carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms and scrape out the gills with a spoon. Dice the stems into small pieces and reserve to add to the mixture.
3) Mix together the remaining ingredients (and the diced mushroom stems) in a bowl and season to taste.
4) Fill the hollowed-out mushrooms with stuffing mixture such that they are rounded over
the top and place the mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet.
5) Bake the mushrooms for 12 minutes or until the top is browned and crispy.
Recipe courtesy of Hampton Creek