Starting on Memorial Day, May 31, 2010 & continuing thru Labor Day, September 6, 2010, military families will receive FREE admission to over 600 museums nationwide this summer! This program is just being announced today & it’s called “Blue Star Museums”, funded by both the National Endowment for the Arts & Blue Star Families, a nonprofit group serving military families. What a great way to thank our servicemen & their families for their dedication to our country!
All 50 states are participating and at least 30 children’s museums will be participating as well! You can check out all the details & find a location near you HERE. There is no limit to the number of visits or museums that families can visit this summer!
This program is available for all active duty military, active duty reservists, & active duty National Guard members & their spouses & children. More details HERE, too.
Here are the specific details of the program:
- Bring official military ID – In order to receive free admission, military personnel should show a Geneva Conventions CAC ID (official military ID) & spouses/dependents should show a DD Form 1173 ID card.
- If a child is under age 10, they must be accompanied by their family member with the appropriate military ID
- The military ID holder plus up to 5 immediate family members can receive free admission (spouse, sibling, or children of the military member). Even if your spouse is deployed, you can still participate – just bring your military ID
- Some special or limited-time museum exhibits may not be included in this free admission program, so check with the museum directly.
Here are the participating locations in the Northwest:
- Kids Quest Museum, Bellevue
- Seattle Art Museum
- Tacoma Art Museum
- Griffin Museum of Photography, Winchester
- Henry Art Gallery, Seattle
- Polson Museum, Hoquiam
- Portland Art Museum
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center, The Dalles
- Crater Rock Museum, Central Point
- Heritage Station Museum, Pendleton
- Schneider Museum of Art at Southern Oregon University, Ashland
- Tillamook County Pioneer Museum, Tillamook
- Boise Art Museum
- The Art Museum of Eastern Idaho, Idaho Falls
- Herrett Center for Arts & Science, Twin Falls