Chocolate Cupcake Recipe with Marshmallow Frosting
If you’ve been looking for a new, delicious chocolate cupcake recipe, you’ll want to try these hot fudge cupcakes with marshmallow frosting. This one is sure to be a hit, especially with chocolate lovers! I love the addition of the caramel mixed in with the chocolate & marshmallow! Mmm! If you love chocolate cupcakes, this is the recipe for you, as it has baking cocoa, hot fudge and chocolate chips in it. That is like a triple chocolate threat cupcake!
You could start with a chocolate cake mix for convenience, but it really is not hard to make them from scratch, and you will taste the difference in flavor. The best part of these chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow frosting though, is the recipe for the cream cheese marshmallow frosting. It really adds a special flavor to these cupcakes. People will think you bought them from a fancy bakery.
Hot Fudge Cupcakes with Hot Fudge Marshmallow Frosting:
Mix all of the ingredients together (recipe below), then add them to your favorite cupcake liners.
Bake and cool, before frosting. Make your marshmallow frosting, per instructions below, while you are waiting for your cupcakes to cool.
To frost, it works best if you add it to a piping bag, and swirl it on the top, but you could frost with a knife too. Drizzle caramel on frosting and serve up! It is a crowd pleaser.
You could also make the base chocolate cupcake recipe and then add our DIY Caramel Topping recipe for the caramel used in this recipe to give it even more flavor!
Or if you’d rather add a little something different, try this with a coconut oil frosting to change it up a little!
Printable Recipe for Hot Fudge Cupcakes with Hot Fudge Marshmallow Frosting:
Here’s a printable version of the Hot Fudge Cupcakes with Hot Fudge Marshmallow Frosting recipe for you to print off to put in your recipe binder or notebook.Print
For the cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of milk or half and half
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons caramel topping
- 2 teaspoons hot fudge
For the icing:
- 1/2 (8 ounce) cream cheese package, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line muffin tin with liners; set aside.
- Mix your flour, brown sugar, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Whisk the milk, egg, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Mix the wet mixture into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon to make sure that all of the dry mixture gets coated with the milk and egg.
- Fold in chocolate chips, caramel, and hot fudge.
- Bake for about 23 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, marshmallow creme, and vanilla on medium, until creamy. Reduce speed to low, and slowly add your powdered sugar until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Toppings: Swirl as much or as little hot fudge and caramel over your frosting as you like.