We recently participated in a briefing session from Milk Unleashed to learn all about shelf safe milk and the process they use to keep it safe since it’s not refrigerated and the information is definitely eye-opening to me. Shelf safe milk definitely has some great benefits due to the fact that you can take it anywhere with you, whether you’re heading to the park for a day, packing it in a school lunch or bringing it along on a roadtrip. It’s also a fantastic option to include in your emergency kits in your home.
I will say that I am pretty picky about my milk and I tried some of the shelf safe milk and thought it tasted pretty good and not too different from regular milk, especially when I did refrigerate it to drink it cold. My girls love it, too and don’t find it any different at all, so it’s definitely been a hit with our family. Let us know how your family likes the taste!
What is Shelf Safe Milk?
Facts about shelf safe milk:
Same Grade A Milk we use regularly but processed & packaged up differently
No additives or preservatives used to keep it fresh in your pantry
Can be stored in a pantry or other location (not in the heat) for up to 6 months. Once you open it, you’ll have about 10 days to use it
Shelf safe milk is then stored in sterile Tetra Pack packaging, which keeps out light, air & harmful contaminants. In fact, this packaging actually helps to hold nutrients in longer since the packaging completely protects it from the light. Not only that, but the Tetra Pack packaging is also recyclable, so it’s safe for the earth. Packaging is 70% paper and they use aluminum foil to keep out the oxygen & keep it from spoiling. Then there is a thin layer of plastic that is BPA-Free.
Ways to Use Shelf Safe Milk:
Here are just a few of the different ways you can use shelf safe milk:
- School Lunches – If you pack a lunch for your child, buy the shelf safe milk to make sure they are getting those important nutrients every day
- Park Playdates
- Roadtrips – just throw a few into the cooler for a few hours if you want them cold on the trip
- Sporting Events
- Emergency Kits – keep some of these on hand in your emergency kits so you can have some healthy beverages besides just water. Just make sure to rotate every 6 months
Where to Find Shelf Safe Milk:
Resources for Info on Shelf Safe Milk:
- Milk Unleashed Website – There’s a cow calendar each month with new tips on shelf safe milk, downloadable games, snack ideas & more. This month’s printable cow calendar is all about tips for packing healthy school lunches.
- Milk Unleashed Facebook page – keep up to date on the latest news, updates & more information. They’ll be launching a contest next week, so make sure to check back!
- Milk Unleashed Twitter Account – keep an eye out for an upcoming Twitter party & follow them for more info about shelf safe milk
- Milk Unleashed Recipe Boards on Pinterest – check out some interesting lunch box & healthy snack ideas, fun family activities, DIY projects & more
So, what do you think about shelf safe milk? Do you use it regularly with your family?
Disclosure: This blog post is sponsored by The Motherhood and Milk Unleashed. All opinions and thoughts I’ve shared here are my own.