- Set of 3 birch wood slices, 2.25” diameter x ⅜” thick
- Crafter’s Acrylic paint in white
- Cricut Joy
- Cricut Joy Standard Grip Mat
- Glitter Vinyl in black and blue
- Owl.Deer.Tree SVG file
- Cricut transfer tape
- Decorative glitter ribbon, 1/4” wide
- Gather supplies.
Painting the Wood Slices
- Paint both sides of the wood slices in white.
- Ensure paint dries fully before proceeding.
Uploading the SVG Pattern
- Upload the Owl.Deer.Tree SVG File into Design Space.
- With the image highlighted, click on “Ungroup” to separate the images.
- Adjust image sizes to fit your wood slices accordingly or maintain size as provided.
- Highlight the owl and click on “Attach”.
- Duplicate the images to have for both sides of the wood slice.
Cutting the Vinyl
- Ensure the machine is set to Cricut Joy and select “Make It” in Design Space.
- Choose “With Mat” as the option for cutting when using regular Cricut Vinyl.
- Set material type to Glitter Vinyl.
- Follow prompts for loading the mat into the Cricut Joy and cutting the Glitter Vinyl. When prompted, unload the vinyl from the cutting machine.
Applying the Vinyl to the Wood Slices
- Cut around each word and image with a pair of scissors.
- Using the weeding tool, peel away the excess vinyl and discard.
- Cut a piece of transfer tape a bit larger than the size of the phrase or image.
- Peel away the transfer tape backing and place the transfer tape overtop of the cut image. Gently rub the vinyl to help it stick to the transfer tape.
- Peel away the vinyl backing and place the image on to the one side of the wood slice. Gently rub the vinyl to help it stick to the wood slice. You can use a Cricut scraper tool for this.
- Carefully and slowly peel away the transfer tape.
- Alternatively, peel the glitter vinyl image off the backing and place directly on to the wood slice without using the transfer tape.
- Repeat for the other wood slices. For the owl ornament, place the body of the owl on to the wood slice first, then stick the scarf piece over top.
Assembling the Ornaments
- Cut three pieces of ribbon 9” long. Insert the end of the ribbon through the hole at the top of the wood slice and tie ends together.