- 6 Medium Apples, Chopped*
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- *You don’t need to peel the apples if you don’t have time as it shouldn’t affect the texture
- The first step is to make applesauce by cooking the apples in 1 cup of water in a large saucepan for about 10-15 minutes until the apples soften.
- With a blender, blend the apples until smooth and return to the saucepan with the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer gently, for approximately 2 hours, stirring often to prevent the mixture from burning on the bottom of the pan.
- The apple butter is ready when it darkens, thickens and when a spoon drawn through it leaves a clear trail.
- Transfer into sterilized mason jars leaving about 1/4 inch headspace.
- Seal with two-piece vacuum seal lids and heat process the jars in a water bath for 5 minutes.
- Store in a dark, cool place.
- This recipe will make 3 medium jars of apple butter & it will keep for up to 6 months.
- Make sure to refrigerate once you open the jars.