- 1 ham bone with some meat left on it
- 3–6 potatoes, cubed (we love potatoes so we added more)
- 1 can of italian style diced tomatoes
- 1 can of regular diced tomatoes
- 1 can of black or kidney beans
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp dried chives
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cubes of chicken bouillon (we don’t like too much salt, so we might change to 2 cans of reduced sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp red pepper (if you like a little more spice)
- Chopped carrots, add these to taste (we left these out)
- Chopped celery, add these to taste (we also left this out)
- Put the ham bone into the slow cooker first and then pour all the ingredients on top of it (except the bouillon cubes).
- Dissolve the bouillon cubes into water then pour into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Remove the ham bone out of the slow cooker (your ham will probably be falling off the bone)
- Discard the actual bones, gristle, and skin.
- Cut or shred the meat and place back in slow cooker.