- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (you can also use milk or even skim milk, depending on the richness of the flavor you want)
- Using a heavy sauce pan, add 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar.
- Place on medium high heat and stir constantly (using a wooden spoon) until all the water dissolves and it begins to boil.
- After it begins to boil, do not stir.
- This next part takes the longest! Wait until the sugar has reached a dark amber color. The lighter the color the less caramel flavor-if you like a lighter caramel, then you don’t wait quite as long.
- Once the sugar has reached a dark amber color, remove from heat.