When I was looking thru the website I mentioned below with the huge list of birthday freebies, I came across a cool idea that I haven’t heard of before. You can request a free, personalized greeting from the President of the US for certain special occasions! I think this is a very special, unique gift, which you could frame or place in a special scrapbook or memory book, at a minimal cost to you! A memorable but frugal gift!!
It turns out that there are several ways you can receive a free personalized greeting or card from the current US President::
1) To celebrate your baby’s birth – the request must be submitted within the baby’s first year of life (but not before the child is born). I think this is such a cool idea to put in your child’s scrapbook or baby book (wish I’d known about it for my older daughter, but I’m definitely going to request it for my baby to put in a scrapbook for her!).
2) To celebrate a birthday – this is only for people 80 years old or older. The requests typically take around 6 weeks so make sure you send away for this in time to be presented to your family member/friend on their birthday!
3) To celebrate an anniversary – Couple must have celebrated 50 years or more to receive a greeting from the president.
*One website (which is a few years old) stated that you could also request a personalized greeting for a wedding (after the date), Eagle Scout award, Girl Scout Gold award, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, or an equivalent event. However, I could not find any more information about this, so I’m not sure that it is accurate for the current administration. But, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try.
Here is what you need to do to request a free, personalized greeting:
1) You have to be a US citizen
2) Provide the name, address, date of birth/birthday/anniversary date of the person for whom the letter will be sent
3) If you’re requesting it for someone else, provide your name and address as well. If you’re requesting this as a gift to give them, make sure to have them send it to you.
4) Send your request by mail or fax::
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
You could also call the White House contact number for more information::
202-456-1111 or 202-456-1414.